Insurance and Risk Management Scholarships
Through endowments and ongoing gifts, the Carl H. Lindner College of Business and Carl H. Lindner III Center for Insurance and Risk Management provide significant scholarships to support achievement-oriented students with demonstrated superior academic and leadership abilities, who are engaged in the study of insurance, risk management, and/or certified financial planning at either the undergraduate or graduate levels.
Available Scholarship Programs
The above students will be designated as Insurance and Risk Management (IRM) or Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Scholars and — subject to acceptance and renewal — will be able to receive scholarship support and have significant interaction with industry leaders. Within the Scholars designation, scholarship recipients will be designated as:
- Cincinnati Insurance Company Scholars
- Great American Insurance Group Scholars
- The Norbert B. Backhus Scholarship recipient
- Gary Gruber Scholars
- Nick and Myrna Orphan CFG Scholars
The Nick and Myrna Orphan program supports deserving students interested in careers focused on life insurance, retirement planning, wealth management, and/or financial planning.
Scholars receiving partial financial support through other internal or external scholarship programs, such as Kolodzik Business Scholars or Lindner Circle of Excellence, are eligible to apply. If chosen, in some select cases scholarship awards through the IRM Scholars Program will cover the difference between tuition and the other scholarship awards.
Scholars receiving full financial support through other internal or external scholarship programs — the Lindner Honors-PLUS Program, for example — are also eligible to apply. If chosen, scholarship grants through the IRM Scholars Program can be used to offset a student’s non-tuition expenses (e.g., housing).
The deadline to apply is September 30.
Application and Review Process
To be eligible, a student must be matriculated to the University of Cincinnati and have declared a major or a minor in Insurance and Risk Management. A requirement for receiving an internal scholarship is that the applicant has applied for — but need not have received — at least one scholarship from an external source.
In order to apply, a student must provide the following information:
- A cover letter to the selection committee stating why the applicant wants to embark on the study of Insurance and Risk Management, and what the applicant hopes to achieve in such a career. The selection committee will examine the applicant’s current transcript. If there is anything the applicant would like to let the selection committee know about his or her academic performance, this information should be included in the cover letter.
- A resume providing information on relevant work experience, extracurricular activities, leadership roles, honors or special achievements, research experience, or special projects/presentations, as well as participation in any business or related competitions.
- A list of all other insurance or risk management scholarships to which the applicant has applied.
These items should be sent electronically to:
- Robert Higgins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ann Hofmann (email@example.com)
External opportunities available to all students
- Griffith Insurance Education Foundation, deadlines March 1 and November 15, awards from $1,000 to $6,000.
- Insurance Accounting & Systems Association, Inc. (IASA), deadline February 28, awards from $500 to $2,500.
- Spencer Educational Foundation, deadline January 31, awards up to $10,000.
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals, deadline June 1, awards up to $1,000.
- National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices, Ltd.; Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Eduational Foundation, deadline June 1.
- The Institutes President's CPCU Scholarship Program.
- Summary of Opportunities provided by the Ohio Board of Regents and the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services (PDF).
- University Risk Management & Insurance Association (URMIA) Educational Scholarships, deadline March 31.