10 Best Practices of Successful Family and Private Businesses
The Goering Center for Family and Private Business has been serving the Cincinnati Tri-State region since 1989. Our 10 Best Practices of Successful Family and Private Businesses was compiled based on many years of observation by experienced family and private firm consultants.
- Family Business/Business Charter: Articulate a clear family business/business philosophy, resulting in a charter that outlines policies concerning employment, ownership, compensation, management, conflict resolution, and personal and corporate responsibility.
- Dynamic Business Strategy: Develop, regularly update, and communicate a business strategic plan, with continuous measurement of the plan results.
- Performance Management System: Develop and execute an employee performance management system including accurate, up-to-date job descriptions, agreed upon goals, and timely, truthful feedback and evaluations.
- Leadership Development: Implement leadership development plans for key positions and possible successors.
- Outside Boards: Establish either a Board of Advisors or Board of Directors including non-family members.
- Contingency Planning: Create contingency and estate plans that address the organization's response in the event of disability, death or voluntary resignation of owners and key officers.
- Owner's Retirement Plans: Create retirement plans of owners that address lifetime security of owners, including a continual challenge for retired owners.
- Business Growth: Experience continuous financial success over time in terms of sales and profit growth.
- Family Council/Business Council: Create an active and functioning Family Council or Business Council that serves the purpose of communicating company and family issues.
- Giving Back: Embrace and encourage company and individual community service.
Core members: Review the Member Alignment Profile (MAP).
We continue to monitor the research and trends of non-public firms in order to stay up-to-date on the latest developments and offer our membership the most impactful insights and information for their businesses.