Graduate Entrance Exam Information
GMAT and GRE
Our admission review process is holistic so we do not have firm minimum score requirements, however, our programs are selective and submitting a competitive score on the GMAT or GRE exam is necessary to gain admission to a program. Some programs provide alternative pathways that would allow you to demonstrate your ability to succeed in the program without taking one of these exams. Refer to the specific program admission page for details.
To be eligible for a scholarship, a student must submit a competitive exam score. The only exceptions are applicants who graduated from a University of Cincinnati degree program within the last 3 years with a 3.5 GPA or better.
Note: The MS Tax program does not require a GMAT or GRE score.
The table below represents the typical average test scores our programs receive and the range of scores received will vary.
|MS Applied Economics||645||315|
|MS Business Analytics||675||320|
|MA Human Resources||550||310|
|MS Information Systems||650||315|
TOEFL and IELTS
All international students are required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS exam or have an approved waiver.The English proficiency requirement is also met for students who have completed level 112 of Intensive English instruction at ELS Language Centers. Learn more about the ELS Center at UC.
Waiver opportunities are listed below*:
- If you received the equivalent of U.S. baccalaureate degree from an institution that teaches all programs entirely in English. You must provide us a sealed letter on letterhead from an official of that institution attesting, in writing, that the entire institution provides instruction in English only. You will also be required to complete and pass a virtual interview for assessment of English proficiency which will be reviewed by the program Director.
- If you passed a nationally administered professional test that requires evaluation of both oral and written English (e.g. USMLE, Cambridge CPE passed with a B). You will also be required to complete and pass a virtual interview for assessment of English proficiency which will be reviewed by the program Director.
- If you hold a US immigrant visa for permanent residency (also known as green card) and have been a full-time resident of the United States for at least 3 years. You will also be required to complete and pass a virtual interview for assessment of English proficiency which will be reviewed by the program Director.
- Students who have received a baccalaureate or higher degree with English as the medium of instruction from the countries below are exempt from the English proficiency requirement:
*If you plan to apply for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver please contact firstname.lastname@example.org after you submit your application and pay your application fee. Waivers are not available for the MS Business Analytics program with the exception of the exempt countries list.
- Antigua & Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Cayman Islands
- Hong Kong (Public Universities)
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- Trinidad & Tobago
- Turks & Caicos
- United Kingdom
The English proficiency requirement is also met for students who have completed level 112 of Intensive English instruction at ELS Language Centers. Learn more about the ELS Center at UC.
Minimum TOEFL and IELTS Requirements
|MS Business Analytics||95||7.0|
|MS Information Systems and PhD programs||100||7.0|
|All other programs||90||6.5|
*GMAT: Can be sent using college/program name
**GRE/TOEFL: Can be sent using school code 1833
***IELTS: Can be sent to University of Cincinnati - Graduate School account.
Special note for doctoral candidates: Upon arrival at the University, each international student's English language proficiency is re-tested. No international student will be permitted to teach in the classroom before they have demonstrated satisfactory oral and written English proficiency.