More than $10,000 in prizes were awarded to budding entrepreneurs at the Ninth Annual UC Spirit of Enterprise Competition featuring 14 graduate student teams from leading universities across North America, the United Kingdom and India on February 21 and 22, 2013.
Lindner College of Business alum Tom Nies, BBA '62, MBA '68, and UC's Entrepreneurship Center partner to host the event at Cincom Systems world headquarters in Cincinnati, a business that Nies began shortly after graduating college.
Students presented new venture ideas ranging from services, retail, healthcare, advanced manufacturing techniques and more, competing for a grand prize of $10,000 and a chance to advance at the 2013 Venture Labs Investment Competition®.
Winners of the competition are:
- University of Louisville was named the Cincom Spirit of Enterprise Champion and received the $10,000 grand prize for their VOC Diagnostics business plan.
- University of Illinois was named 1st runner-up and received the Meridian Spirit Award and $3,000 for their Everfile business plan.
- University of Miami was named 2nd runner-up and received the CincyTech Start Up award and $2,000 for their SHHADE business plan.
- University of Arkansas was named a 3rd runner-up and received the Queen City Angels First Fund Award and $1,000 for their ParadigMed business plan.
- University of Cincinnati won the Taxi/Limo Round of the competition, winning $1,000 for convincing a judge of their Sustain-A-Watt business plan before the limo ride ended. Team members pictured above include Shenghan “Tracy” Wang, Laksh Khurana, Rod Ghavami, Andrew Nguyen, Jason Van Vliet and John Schroder (not pictured).