Rik Vonderhaar earned a marketing degree from St. Joseph’s College, after also receiving a basketball grant-in-aid and the Wall Street Journal Award for senior with best GPA in business major. He earned an MBA from University of Cincinnati, which he completed in 10 months while being a Teaching Assistant. He has had 41-plus years of sales and marketing experience with six companies, two being Fortune 500. Rik is retired now, but still actively applying his skills and experience.
His most recent position was Vice President at Champion Window. Rik has broad based experience and skills in: interpersonal communications, marketing/advertising, pricing, sales management, competitive intelligence, financial statement analysis (P&L responsibilities), operations, customer service, strategic planning and manager recruiting. He has taught and trained several functions including: selling skills, customer service, body language, negotiating and personality types.
Rik has authored a newly published book on value selling, titled In The Absence Of Value, All That’s Left Is $$. He is currently working as a volunteer consultant to non-profit organizations serving the business community of Cincinnati. Rik received 2018 Mentor of the Year Award by the University of Cincinnati Center for Entrepreneurship and Commercialization (CEC).
Areas of Expertise:
- Marketing/Sales (41 years of experience)
- Ability to teach and train strategies and tactics for sales, including: negotiating, body language, personality types, contact preparation and execution and sales proposals. Has purchased advertising media and developed marketing plans for retail markets (e.g. Atlanta, Cincinnati, Chicago, Washington DC).
- Leadership/Management Development (37 years of experience)
- Managed 29 retail outlets (12 at one time) for Champion Window – sales, operations and P&L. Responsible for assessing, hiring and training Division Managers for the cities. Also responsible for building team to support Division Managers. Skilled in analyzing financial statements to identify areas for improvement.
- Business Strategy/Planning (37 years of experience)
- Managed annual budgeting process for retail locations, including sales, operations, personnel and P&L. As Executive Committee member, made and discussed recommendations for improving company operations. Developed operating and strategic plans.
- Construction (21 years of experience)
- Senior manager in three privately held, family-owned home improvement companies.
- Manufacturing: Windows & Automotive (33 years of experience)
- Developed marketing and advertising programs for both corporate and division locations.
- Banking/Financial Services (8 years of experience)
- Developed and trained corporate customer service initiative resulting in improved customer service scores and company revenues.